KathySRW

Pass the chips.

Friday, August 18, 2006

It's really been the most amazing last couple of weeks.

Two weeks ago, my husband was offered his dream job. They wanted him so badly that they actually raised the pay , and threw in an extra week of vacation per year, other than what he was told at the interview, before offering it to him! He starts in 3 days. He's out right now, as I write this, at his own going away party his current co-workers are having for him, out in a bar somewhere.

Last week on Wednesday, my friend Debi came back from Madison and we went to see Riverboat Gamblers, Rollins Band and X at the Fine Line Music cafe in downtown Minneapolis. We really went to see Rollins, of course. But the opening band River Boat Gamblers were awesome! We loved them. Then Rollins band came on and we stood very near the front of the stage. It was a small club, so that put us extremely close to the band. We stood just a few people removed from bassist Melvin Gibbs' feet. Of course it was a great show. Of course I never wear ear plugs, so I heard more of the band than I did of the vocals, but that's how it always is.

When X came on, we found ourselves at the very front, and right at the feet of guitarist Billy Zoom. I knew he was known for retaining this manic smile throughout all his performances, but I did not know he's also known for demanding personal eye contact with the nearest audience members. I'm completely not imagining that I got special attention from him for that entire hour. Sometimes I'd look away at other musicians or the mosh pit behind me and turn around to see him craning his neck trying to make me turn my head back to him personally. I also saw him do this same behavior with others near me a few times, but he always came back to me. Another Rollins fan on his message board told me that X fans near her noticed it and asked each other, "I wonder who's getting Zoomed tonght?" Well it was me! And I'm psyched ! Billy Zoom from X is really adorable, and is my new favorite person right now. Why didn't I pay more attention to him before?

Thursday night, my 7 year old son had to ride on a Boy Scouts float in the New Brighton Stockyard Days parade. It was really a flatbed trailer, pulled behind a pickup truck. I dropped him off, and then realized I had no plan how I was going to pick him up afterward! The leader asked for parents to walk along side the float, so I volunteered. Unfortunatly for my 12 year old daughter, this doomed her to riding in a float full of Boy Scouts. She said she was just going to hide behind the trailer wall. But when friends from school started recognizing her along the parade route, calling her name, waving, and running along side the float for a few yards to talk to her, by mid route she was standing tall, waving to the crowd, and searching out familiar faces in the crowd. It was pretty funny.

Tuesday night, I was invited to a dinner of managers and visiting managers. We went to the Loring Pasta Bar in Minneapolis. The company paid for it. I don't normally get included in those kinds of events. And now I've been asked by that same group of managers to come entertain clients at another company dinner next Tuesday. I'm really surprised and honored by that request. Remember when I always used to get fired ?

I run 3K almost every night. Some nights it goes ok, and some I just barely limp home. I haven't figured out the pattern why some nights the running is easy and some nights it's hard. The 5K event is in one month, on Sept 16.

Two days ago, Wednesday, a co worker who sits right next to me had the afternoon off to go be sworn in as an American citizen . He was really discreet about it, but the rest of us were so excited! Thursday morning , yesterday, before he came in , my other co worker brought in a whole box of USA decorations ; red, white and blue ribbons, wall hangings of national monuments, even a big US flag-themed balloon and a "congratulations" banner to hang from the ceiling over his cube. You could see it from almost everywhere ! I brought in a cake for us to have that afternoon. I think he was really surprised. In fact I told my other co-workers, we might embarrass him so badly he might change his mind and go back ! People from all over the company came over to congratulate him, and he was very popular yesterday. If you think about it, it's really awsome that he took the citizenship test and passed it, and now he's a legal citizen. It was realy exciting. Plus, we really have no privacy in our office. It was a good day.

Tomorrow night my old college friend Mary is coming to town and we're having a party at my other friend's house. And Sunday is Mounds View Tower Days, and my husband is in charge of the Lions Club hamburger stand, and will be working at it from 8 am until 8 pm. And I agreed to let my kids ride on the Sons of Norway float, so they can make the futile point that they're not just for old people, even though yes, they are, which means I have to go on it with them, and I just found out it'll just be us and two other people. How awkward , since yes, I am in Sons of Norway, but some things about them are really starting to bug me, and I sort of don't feel like being on their float just now.

It's 8:00 pm . If I don't go run now, then I won't. So I have to go now. Ever since that racoon chased us in to our house a few weeks ago, now when I run with my dog, every shadow looks like a racoon to me. And the sun goes down much earlier than it used to. So it's dark at 8 now. Time to go face the racoons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home