KathySRW

Pass the chips.

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Last Tuesday night a co worker and I flew to Kansas City , Missouri, for 3 days.

Last November another much more experienced co worker had to accompany me through the airport, through renting a car, and finding our hotel, in Longmont Colorado. This time I was the experienced one, as this was my third air trip for work, and my co worker this time had only flown once in her whole life.

It went great though. We both attended a 3 day training class, at our corporate headquarters, as we have both recently been promoted to Team Lead in our departments. In some ways it felt like one big 3 day pep talk about giving members of our team positive reinforcement as they grow their skills, and create team work. But it did cover a little of how to give constructive criticism , and when and how to give verbal warnings and written warnings. I can't really see that happening in my department though.

Wednesday evening, my co worker and I walked from our Hyatt hotel to downtown Kansas City, MO, only to find out it was a lot like St. Paul, MN in that it almost entirely shuts down on week day evenings, and there was nothing to see. Now we know we should have gone to Union Station, the trian dept that is also a hub for music and restaurants. Dang. Maybe next time.

Thursday night she went out to dinner with a former co worker who know lives in Kansas City, MO, and I ate chinese food in a local shopping mall food court. Later that night we went to a bar near our hotel and I had a coke. Friday night, of course, we flew right back out again. The company sent a company owned van just to pick up us and one other employee and take us all to the airport. Those guys are so organized! I'm jealous of people who work at the corporate office. It was like a college campus. Our satellite office here in Minneapolis is more like the movie Office Space sometimes!

I drove back from the airport, and my kids were still up past 9:30 pm! I was so happy to see them. Saturday I just spent all day with them at home, although we did go to the library in the afternoon. Today , Sunday, we went to our friends' house for an afternoon open house party, two of my girlfriends, my own age, brought their babies, one 3 months old and one 5 months old. I got to hold them both. We all remembered how my own daughter, now 12, was the first baby in our group of friends, and how radiant she was. Now she is as tall as I am, and she seemed to be a little annoyed at us telling her all about it now. My son just dropped a trail of chex mix behind him where ever he went, in these childless people's house, all during their party , I ran around behind him trying to pick it up.

The summer is 1/3 over already! We need to do more summer stuff!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home