KathySRW

Pass the chips.

Tuesday, November 30, 2004

OK now my husband got laid off from the St. Paul Companies.
The good news is that they'll continue to pay him for 4 months! Even after that 4 months, then he's elligible for unemployement benefits for a while.
The bad news is everyone knows no one hires much in December, so we're not really counting on him being able to do a decent job search until January.

Wednesday morning my husband drove our dog to a kennel in Lake Elmo.
Then my husband, 2 kids and I drove to Green Bay.
We arrived at about 4 pm, and drove straight to Bridal Beginnings so he could pick up the suit he was fitted for, about 2 months ago.
They spent about 20 minutes saying he was never fitted there, and that they'd have to start all over again, even though his sister's wedding was less than 3 days away. Then they decided, ho-hum, they found it after all.
We went to my in-laws' house.
My mother in law made a nice dinner. Then she gave everyone a nice piece of chocolate cake, and asked us to guess the secret ingredient. It was SAURKRAUT! I'm not joking. One of my least favorite things on earth. She baked big handfulls of saurkraut in to her cake batter, because she saw it in a recipe in a magazine! I almost choked.
Thursday was Thanksgiving day, so everything was closed. My kids watched cartoons and videos and I read part of the DiVinci Code. We had ham for Thanksgiving dinner. I often wish we could just have our own Thankgiving Dinner at our own home, but some day when my in laws aren't around I'll feel guilty for saying that.
Later that night, my mother in law, and my two sister in laws went to a hotel banquet room to decorate table tops with plastic leaves and tall glass vases, and to decorate the head table, gift table, and cake table, with a plastic leave garnish, stuck with pins and tape.
Friday the groom, my two sister in laws, my mother in law, and several other women in the wedding party went to a salon to stand in their underwear and get spray-painted "tan". I thought they all came back looking like pumpkins. My husband and I can't figure out what made them think that was a good idea.
Friday afternoon, we had to go to their church for the wedding rehersal. My sister in law and her fiance had called or house a few weeks ago to ask if I would prefer to lead the congregation in prayer, or to present Catholic communion to the priest, but I had to tell them I'm an athiest and shouldn't do either one. After that my sister in law and her fiance went to their own house, and the rest of us went back to my in-laws' house and thought up ways to get The Bride to change her mind, because her fiance is clearly a total con artist who can't keep a job, and has furnished several different dates and places of birth, when asked. It wasn't like waiting for a wedding, it felt more like a funeral to us.

Saturday we all dressed nice, my daughter and I wore dresses, she hated that way more than I did.
I was proud of my daughter and son, and their two little cousins, they stood at the entrance to the church sanctuary, and handed programs to people coming in, while I and my husband's brother's wife supervised. They were all very charming! My son wore black hush puppy shoes that my mother in law got him. He was very proud of them and kept calling them his "tapping shoes", as if they were for tap-dancing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home