KathySRW

Pass the chips.

Wednesday, September 08, 2004

We got our cell phone delivered to us. The first thing we could think of was that we DIDN'T want to give the number out to ANYONE, as if we just got it so we could call out, but no one could call us. We also each wanted the OTHER person to be the one to carry the phone. I think my husband should carry it, because his commute is longer than mine, and he could call me at home from his car if he needed to. But so far I'm always the one carrying it, I just leave it off all the time.

Friday we drove to Green Bay. Saturday evening my husband's whole extended family gathered at his Aunt Margaret's for his grandparents' 70th wedding anniversary. She's 89 and he's 97. She had folding tables and chairs set up in her 2-car garage, and served booja, which is this chicken gumbo soup that people in Wisconsin eat on special occasions. Afterwards, they all played a game on the lawn in which teams throw two washers duct-taped together like a big heavy coin, into a tooden box on the opposite side of the lawn. Kind of like horse-shoes. I just kept my kids with me and we watched and drank more Coke.

When we drove back on Sunday evening we got a flat tire! My husband changed the flat tire, what a guy. But we knew we couldn't drive over 100 more miles on our little tiny spare tire in front! I was excited when I remembered we had a cell phone...then remembered I don't know who to call, and 411 was "out of range." A lot of good that does us. I guess we gotta join AAA auto club now too. We ran a stop sign, and I was so grateful we got pulled over by the police. He gave us a warning, and not a ticket, and showed us where there was a truck stop ahead where we could at least ask about where we could get a new tire on a Sunday night in rural Wisconsin. And they gave us a phone number to a small independent auto shop that was open!!! That guy rotated our small front tire to the back , explaining that since most of the weight is borne by the front tires, that should get us the rest of the way home. He couldn't actually insall a new tire on us, because we'd thrown the old one away at the road side like bad, bad litterers, because our trunk was full of our luggage, and our tiny little sedan car was full of us and our dog. I was go glad to be home. We left Green Bay before 3 pm and got home at 11 pm !

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home