KathySRW

Pass the chips.

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Two weeks ago, I took March 22, 23, and 24 off to spend Wed through Friday of my kids Spring Break at home with them. We didn't really go anywhere except the beautiful downtown St Paul public library. It was great to just spend quiet time at home with the kids.

Saturday morning I went to my Norwegian language class at Mindekirken. This quarter we lost two long-time class members, but gained a new one, so there are 3 of us in my class now.

Sunday I flew to Daytona Beach Florida! Sounds glamorous, but I really was there to spend 5 days learning a new anesthesia software product. The two people assigned to teach it to me were well aware that they were training their replacement, so they were not highly motivated to train me. I spent more time in "my" cube, temporarily assigned to me while its usual inhabitant was on a week of vacation, trying to look busy, than I spent listening in on customers' phone calls or having them take time out to show me anything. They kept saying they were "too busy." The hotel was very nice though. I had a huge bed to myself, took a lot of hot baths, and watched a one hour tv special about the Mall of America back home in Minnesota. The weather was warmer than in Minnesota in late March, but it didn’t look to me like it does on MTV Spring Break. I wore my jacket a lot. And my two trips to the ocean side, during my evenings off weren't really impressive. I found the tide very high, all the way up to the buildings by then. The other 3 nights I took walks closer to my hotel, 7 miles from the ocean, and came back and watched tv. I missed my kids very bad, but I did get a lot of rest in the evenings!

Friday night I flew back. My husband and kids picked me up at the airport. I was SO HAPPY to see them. It was our 16th wedding anniverary, and I got to spend about 2 minutes of it with my own husband before it turned midnight!

Saturday, Norwegian class at Mindekirken again, then we did our best to clean up the house for the next 2 days.

Monday morning I got to go to the Amtrak station and pick up my best friend from high school and her other friend who came with her! It was so great to have them both over, and of course I took those days off from work, I had scheduled them a long time ago. We slept in. My kids went to school on the school bus. We went shopping along Grand Avenue in St Paul and had lunch at Bread and Chocolate. We went to the Mill Museum in downtown Minneapolis. Their visit was too short. My husband says when I drove them back to the train station, our 7 year old son cried, as he was getting ready for school. He loved having them over.

Wednesday morning (yesterday) I drove them back to Amtrak so they could continue their trip to visit some other people in Wisconsin, and for the first time in 2 weeks, I drove back to the office and went back to work.

That night (last night) we got our taxes done, prepared to hear that we would owe a lot of money, because of all the stocks we cashed out last year. Instead we found out we are getting a very nice refund. We came back home and took our kids out for ice cream. 2006 has been a pretty good year, so far!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home