KathySRW

Pass the chips.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Greetings from Florida

Here is part of an email I just sent to some of my friends:


Hi everyone, I 'm writing from Daytona Beach, Forida and will be here until Friday night.

I'm staying in a hotel room the size of my whole first efficiency apartment, only one block from the office where I am working this week. The TV in that room defaults back to Fox News , very loudly, every time I turn it back on.

Jeb Bush really is the governer here. I'd forgotten that when I first came!

The law here says people only need back-end licence plates on their cars, but not front-end plates! So, I'd say about 90% of cars have nothing in front, and about 10% of the people display some kind of metalic, licence-plate sized art work in the place where a front licence plate would go. I'm going to take some pictures of them before I go.

My first night here, I ran back to my room after work, changed, and then took a 7 mile, 2 hour, walk straight to the ocean. I was thinking, it's Daytona Beach , it's spring break, there's got to be something fun going on there. But dang, it was dead there! The tide was coming right up to the shops, and the sidewalks were more full of crack heads than students. I guess you have to know WHERE to go. Plus it's been colder than usual this week, and it was late, like about 7 pm by then and it was dark.

Yesterday our line-of-business director came to visit , and he's staying at the same hotel as me, so we went out. He's so far removed from me on the boss food chain that it's almost like he's not my boss at all. He actually rented a car, I didn't.I could have, the company would have paid for it, but with my hotel being so close to work, I just didn't. But we drove down that same road, and he was as surprized as I was ! We stopped at an overpriced sea food restaurant that didn't even have much of a selection, because we got tired of looking! Somehow I just wasn't expecting it to look so much like Aberdeen Wa.

I have 2 more nights to kill, so I don't know what I'm going to do with them. I brought Games Magazine, or I'll just walk a different direction and see what else they have here.

I'm excited my old friend from high school is coming to visit my house next week, and worried the kids have torn the house apart and I'll have 2 days to restore the damage. I looked around just before I left and thought , jeez, all our walls need to be painted, we need more art, we don't own china or silver, the guest bedroom is also the CD-rack room, this isn't really a guest-friendly house, is it!

I'm going to ask Northwest Airlines to sign me up as a Frequent Flyer on my way back, because it looks like I may be becoming one, so I might as well get points.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home