KathySRW

Pass the chips.

Monday, August 08, 2005

Saturday I mopped the kitchen floor. Sunday, my son both poured tea on it and vomited on it.

Sunday morning I got up before everyone and went to Mindekirken, Norwegian Memorial Lutheran Church again. They have a 9 am English language service, before their 11 am Norwegian language service. In a way I feel akward going there. I'm not Lutheran. I'm only even just learning how Lutheranism is different from my husband's Catholicism, just this year. So, no, I'm not converting or joining. But I went just to be in Norwegian environment for an hour or two, because lately that just cheers me up. Well, their pastor is very nice, and very smart, and delivered a sermon about one of my least favorite New Testament passages ever. The one where Jesus walks on water, and so could humans if their faith was strong enough. I'm sorry, but one of my earliest doubts about the Mormon church, growing up, was being told that if you believed enough, then yes each of us could also walk on water. Even a little kid at least knows the laws of gravity. But the way he phrased it, we're supposed to fall through the water (screw up) and Jesus is supposed to be there to pull you up. It made me feel like crying. Why didn't someone tell me that 30 years ago? Too bad that guy's work visa expires in November. His family already returned to Norway! That's got to be rough!

I just signed up for their free beginning Norwegian language lessons, there, starting September, Saturday mornings. Pretty sweet!

I haven't been teaching English as a Second Language all summer. The school where I volunteer hasn't called me since last spring...and I haven't called them either. I'm really enjoying having my summer off. Unlike during the school year, we don't have a million activities going on. Most afternoon I get home at about 3:30, my husband is staying home with the kids for now, so he's already there when I get there. Then we have the rest of the day to just do what ever we want!

Sunday afternoon, my husband and 2 kids and I went swimming at a public lake-side beach, near our house, Long Lake Regional Park. We swam and laid in the sun and ate the popcorn and watermelon we bought with us and swam some more for 2 hours. It was so great, I love that place!

Sunday night, I got to go to dinner with my long lost girl friend Andrea, and then she and I went to my moving-away friend's house to look at clothes she doesn't want to take with her. I must have told her 5 times last week I don't NEED any new clothes. I'm trying to get rid of some. I took home about 5 great sweaters anyway, and some tee shirts for my kids.

Now I'm at work at my desk, taking phone calls. Kind of boring. But watching my husband do his job search all over again reminds me that there are much worse things than being bored at a job that I really to mostly-like with people I mostly-like.

Lunch is over, the clam chowder was good. Now I have a hot cup of peppermint tea, and I gotta put my phone back on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home