KathySRW

Pass the chips.

Sunday, February 18, 2007

My son's eighth birthday is tomorrow, but he had a birthday slumber party with his friends, yesterday. So we had 8 little boys sleep over last night.

They ranged in age from 5 to 11 years. 4 were a set of brothers from next door. 3 were other boys from our block who ride the school bus with my son every afternoon, and one was my husband's co worker's son.

They were all 9 (including my own son) so similar in their personalities that it was hard to tear them away from their Nintendo Game Cube and PC-Game tournaments.

We had chicken nuggest shaped like dinosaurs, pizza, and chips and cookies at bed time. And cake and ice cream at dinner of course. I made the effort to put a bowl of mixed fruit on the breakfast table this morning, along with the Life cerial and Eggo waffles, but of course no one touched the fruit. Several of the boys poured paper cups of orange juice , and then didn't drink it.

We had a Pinata after breakfast, but the rope broke pretty early on, and some remaining boys just had to take their turns clubbing it on the ground, like a baby seal.

I used the calendar on my cell phone to remind me what time to pass out which hyperactivity drugs to which boy, at which time. But I probably pretty much defeated the purpose with the snacks, and the handfulls of little candies from the pinata and in their little plastic treat bags on the way out.

We all watched the Pink Panther with Steve Martin, on blankets and sleeping bags in the living room, but after that most of the boys were still awake, and watched Sponge Bob the Movie, quietly, and my husband and I went to bed. I got up at 12:30 am just to check on them, and my son, and the son of my husband's co worker had snuck back downstairs and were playing the Game Cube. I made them turn it off and go back upstairs to bed. My son confessed to me this morning that after I went back to bed they both just went back downstairs again and liteally didn't sleep all night.

My son fell asleep in church today and hit his head against the hard wooden back of the pew in front of us, and cried all the way home.

So if you ask them, they probably think they had a good time. We happen to know most of those parents went out last night! The one set of parents who stayed home invited my 13 year old daughter to spend the night with their 13 year old daughter, one of her best friends, so she wouldn't have to stay home with all the boys, and was she ever grateful to go! But my husband wonders if his coworker will ever speak to him again, after her no-sleep son came home.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:21 PM , Blogger ash966 said...

    A sleepover with 8 9-year-old boys? Omigod, that sounds exhausting. Those parents should be thanking you for taking them off their hands. I'm sure they never sneak down late at night to watch video games or tv at their own house, right?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home