KathySRW

Pass the chips.

Friday, September 03, 2004

Two days ago it was my 5 year old son's first day of kindergarten! I wept at my desk all day long and called the school twice just to ask them to check on him. They said he was playing nicely with the others both times.
Yesterday I only called them once, he was fine again. My little man is not my baby any more!...and his day care price just plummited dramatically. Yay , I'm rich , I'm rich!

My husband and I took last week off from work. We took advantage of the last week before school started, and spent 4 days at my in-laws' lakeside cabin in Eastern Wisconsin. The kids enjoyed sitting on the edge of the dock and feeding bread crumbs to the fish. About 20 sunfish would come right up to the surface of the water and feed off the crumbs, and we never got tired of it. My mother-in-law and father-in-law stayed there with us, and my father in law took us all for several rides in his motor boat along the whole chain of lakes in that area, it was great. My 10 year old daughter especially enjoyed knowing that the state of Wisconsin does not require that children be licensed to fish, but adults need to pay for a permit. So legally she and her brother could fish, and my husband and I couldn't . When grandpa helped my son actually catch a fish on his hook, however, and he pulled hte fish out of the water and showed it to my son, both my children screamed and ran away! We released it, of course.

Later in the week, we drove back to Wisconsin to go to Crystal Cave , just less than an hour from our home . We had a 1 hour guided tour of a huge underground cave. A friendly bat flew over our heads occasionally just to give us that true 'cave' experience.

My husband and I shelled out big bucks and got tickets for REM and Springstien! I'm not a big Springstien fan, but I've always loved REM and this might be my only chance to ever see them. Plus the money is for Move-On, a progressive political cause we both feel very strongly about.

What else?

We also shelled out and got a cell phone! We had 3 incidents in about a week, where we were running around in public looking for a pay phone, and just couldn't find one any more! So we got a cell phone through Working Assets. We each think the OTHER PERSON should be the one to carry it, however. I've got it today. I've got a mental list of things I will never do with it, such as start chatting with a friend from a restaurant or grocery store; leave it on so it rings during a movie; or forward my home phone calls to it, answer it while I'm out somewhere, then inform the caller how disruptive this call was to me, just now.

Also, I just mailed my only copy of a booted video tape of Soul Coughing playing in Minneapolis in 1997 to the web moderator of a Soul Coughing web site, who says he's giving them to ex SC bassist Sebastian Steinberg to put togeher at DVD. Wouldn't it be great if part of my video was in that DVD! My husband bought me that tape off the internet for my birthday once, so there could really be numerous copies of it floating around out there who knows?

Now tonight we're going to drive back to Green Bay, to celebrate my husband's paternal grandparents' SEVENTIETH wedding anniversary. They're both in their 90's, but they're both still alive. I have been assured that the week-end long festivities will include "booja" which is this kind of chiken gumbo soup that people in Wisconsin make on special occasions, and a special Catholic mass in onor of the event.

Too bad we didn't shell out more money, and get a cell phone with text messaging, I'd play with it all the time. Such as on trips to Wisconsin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home