KathySRW

Pass the chips.

Tuesday, March 02, 2004

Hey, I wore an actual dress to work today, pumps tights everything. I look like a total girl, for a change!
Our "lent" challange at home is "no eating out." It might sound shallow, but as much as we rely on fast food like a crutch, every time we're too lazy to clean the kitchen, and/or cook oursleves, we take our kids out somewhere. And husband 'forgets' his lunch and eats out at work quite a lot. And we stop at them as an impulse when we're driving around on week ends, running errands, with our kids. It might be why we all get so crabby. Fast food is not healthy. And we know it adds up financially, monthly. So far its been a great idea. And I'm reading Fast Food Nation. It started out just being about the history of various early leaders in the fast food industry. Then it went on to include how fast food companies recruit new business owners, then manipulte them out of all their money, including charging big rent for the property the stores sit on. Now I'm at the part where it explains how the cheeply-created food contains edible perfumes developed in a lab. I'm a former Burger King employee myself, from when I was 19.

Sunday I went back to Sam's Club and re-applied to work week-ends there, in preparation for this summer, when we'll be paying for both our kids to attend day care full time.

Last week I called my boss, my boss's boss, and my boss's boss's boss in to a meeting with me to ask them to appeal the decision to hire strangers off the street, instead of restoring the two specific people we lost in the lay off. But I lost that one. The dilberts-speak they used to justify it was truely amazing though. I wish I'd had a tape recorder on! At least I know I tried though.

Yesterday afternoon I called a few companies I like, to ask them if they grant informational interviews, so I can look elsewhere. I'd just like to know more about them. Guidant said they don't grant informational interviews. Medtronic , I had to leave a voice mail and they never called me back. I might call Veritas this afternoon. I know I'm lucky to have a job at all in this economy, especially a technology job, the exact kind being exported overseas by so many other companies.

I put my yahoo IM on this morning. I've been leaving it off lately, because I got sick of being propositioned sexually, and getting all those messages from men in India and various places all over the Middle East, who beg me to arrange their immigration and/or get them a job in the US. I even put in my profile 'don't flirt with me, don't tell me to do your job search'. Well today I put it on and almost immediately got a message from a guy in Marocco, who very kindly allows me to chat in French with him, but he's very persistant that I should find him an American girlfriend to marry. Ho hum. More of the same.

Marco's message board at onlyloversleftalive.com keeps me sane.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home