KathySRW

Pass the chips.

Monday, August 04, 2003

Jargon Spewing Corprate Zombie.

I've been looking in on marco-pirroni.co.uk and adam-ant.net quite a lot lately, chatting to cool people over those forums. Love Marco. Sorry Adam's ill.

Still work 6 am - 3 pm M-F and the occasional Saturday, at the software company. But am significanly less motivated than I used to be. About a month ago, we had a meeting in which it was explained to us by some executive that all the executives received their corporate-goal-reaching bonuses anyway, even though we as a corpopration only met 80% of our annual goal. Because of course we want to retain them, we wouldn't want to lose their excellent leadership. Meanwhile there is a 4% raise-cap this year for everyone else, and to get it you'll still have to meet your manager's expectations (apparently not just 80% of them) . Because of course we wouldn't want to be like all those other software companies that gave all their staff huge raises and then had to declare bankruptcy and lay all those people off. Just a few weeks earlier we all got an email saying that in order to save money, our reception area would no longer be subscribing to any magazines, so would we please bring magazines from home, so that our customers and guests will have something to read while they're waiting? Which of my magazine back-issue collection do you think I should bring in: Phsychotronic Video; Giant Robot; or Bitch Magazine? Anyway I'm putting in as little effort as possible these days and checking the internet a lot, because I think our networking dept is just as understaffed as we are, and probably has better things to do than to check up on me.

Plus they still won't hire my friend Jeff who would be perfect, so I hate them right now.

I have been in total dental agony all summer, and have just returned from my 6th dental appointment in about 2 months. Hopefully it will be my last until January. Now I have two new fillings and a crown. I will get another crown on another tooth in January. Ive already met my dental annual max this year, so that other tooth will have to wait until the year starts over.

I'm also freaking out because my husband and 2 children are planning to visit my parents next week, which means getting all 4 of us from Minnesota to Washington State, somehow, and back again. My husband and I have asked off 2 weeks from work, for the trip. But I'm depending on the George Bush child care credit tax refund, which I object to on principal, but will use anyway, for this trip. I vote for Greyhound because it will be cheaper, but my husband votes for Amtrak, which would BREAK US, but he's such a comfort-baby. We still dont' have someone to take our dog, and will probably pay to have her kept in a local professional kennel.

It will be my 20 year high school reunion! I still love my old high school friends so much! But some of them are still so bitter about high school, and about something that happened at the 10-year reunion, that some of them have said they'll come to town to see me, but they're not going to the official reunion at the hotel on Saturday, or to the picnic the next day. Sometimes I still miss sitting in each others' basements & bedrooms, listening to Devo, the B-52' s and the Police, on vinyl and cassette.

Marco Pirroni posts messages to Marco-Pirroni.co.uk all the time, and recommended a fascinating book called "Songs in the Key of Z: The Curious Universe of Outsider Music" by Irwin Chasid. So I got it and my husband and I are both completly obsessed with it now. Here is a quote from the Wild Man Fischer chapter, that has just haunted me, " When you're immersed in alternative, post-glitter, underground punk culture, there's humor about certain things that aren't actually funny." This was in reference to an artist who really was mentally ill and a danger to himeself and others.

Love Kathy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home