KathySRW

Pass the chips.

Friday, December 06, 2002

Then I posted this one:
We always used to go to the Capitol Theater to see movies, in the early 70's. It was only 50 cents for kids! Then in about 1974 it
burned down, terribly. It was a local disaster because it had been an original old Vaudeville Theater, and it was such a beautiful work of architecture, it was a historical landmark. While on fire, two guys actually manged to run in , pick up the opposite ends of a GRAND PIANO, and rescue it from the fire!For several years the burnt facade of the Capitol Theater still displayed the charred poster advertising "Coming Soon, The Apple Dumpling Gang."
A few years later, maybe 1977, it reopened, and my mom took me and my sister to see Bob Hope do stand up comedy there for the Grand Opening! The grand opening started with the curtain going up, and nothing on the stage but the previously-rescued grand piano, with a spot light on it. Probably a very touching scene for adults. Some lady stood off-stage and acted as the voice of the piano, telling
everyone its history, about the fire and how "I" (the piano) was rescued. I was about 13 or 14 years old, so I thought it was corny.
Then just a few days later mom tood me and my sister back to the Capitol, to see Jose Feliciano! I was actually excited about that,
because I knew he was the singer of the Chico and the Man theme song!
Good Concert!
As a teen ager in the late 70s and early 80s, I was active at the Warehouse Theater, I'm always glad to hear that those guys are still
at it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home